This time of year, many of us are thinking about what we’re thankful for. When we want to show gratitude to someone, it’s easy to just say “thank you” and move on. Saying “thank you” is important, and it’s a simple, direct way to let people know you’re appreciative. Since we hear it so often, though, it doesn’t always make a big impact.
If you’re looking to up your gratitude game for someone you’re especially thankful for, try one of these ideas.
- Be specific – what exactly did they do that you appreciated, and why did it make your life better?
- Pick up a cup of their favorite coffee or tea, and/or some cookies, donuts, or other treats they like.
- If you’re thanking them for taking on a burden they didn’t need to, help take it off their shoulders going forward. For example, if your coworker is doing more than their share of office chores, create (and enforce) a schedule to get others to do their part.
- Take them out for a meal or coffee at their favorite place – your treat.
- Send them a handwritten note or card (we have some beautiful ones in The JoyPowered® Shop!).
- Offer to return the favor and help them out with something.
- Thank them in public, like at a team meeting or on social media. This one depends on the personality of the person you’re thanking, so take that into account – while some people value others hearing that they‘re appreciated, some are uncomfortable with the attention.
- Send them an email or text message letting them know you appreciate them, and tell them they shouldn’t feel pressured to respond – you just wanted to show your gratitude.
- Send them a small gift, like flowers, a candle, a journal, or a book.
- If you’re thankful for a coworker, let their boss know they’re doing a great job.
- Be enthusiastic – try saying something more emphatic than “thank you,” like “you made my day.”
- Leave a sticky note telling them how grateful you are on the bathroom mirror, their desk, or wherever they’re likely to see it.
- If you’re thankful for someone’s products or services, write a positive review on Google, Yelp, or somewhere similar to help support their business.
- Make their favorite meal or a batch of homemade cookies for them.
- Spend some quality time with them doing something they like to do.
Wishing you a holiday season filled with gratitude! We at JoyPowered® are thankful to you for listening, reading, watching, and shopping with us this year. We have so much fun putting together this content, and we love it when it resonates with people.
What are you grateful for today?